Monday, October 30, 2017

Anthony Rapp Claims Kevin Spacey Made ‘Sexual Advances’ On Him When He Was 14 Years Old

Just read this story on Back2Stonewall and thought it would be worth sharing. I have always liked Anthony Rapp, not so much Kevin Spacey. I find it appaling that someone considered to be a well respected actor, such as Spacey, waited so late in the game to come out, much like Barry Manilow. It's taken decades for the gay community to be considered a part of NORMAL society rather than looked upon as freaks and perverts...For someone that was respected enough to accept Academy, Tony and Golden Globe awards as well as accept nominations for Grammys and Emmys and not to mention a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, why wasn't he fighting the fight for our rights?

As for this story, I can't fault Rapp in this situation because I know how I was from the age 12 onward but Spacey and his lapse of judgement can be likened to the nameless faceless stories we hear coming from perverted pastors and priests. As for the Spacey apology, I commend him for that, it does take balls to apologize for something like this, HOWEVER, there is NO reason to involve the fact that you were intoxicated, an apology should include no excuses.

Speaking to BuzzFeed News, actor Anthony Rapp has come forward alleging that Kevin Spacey made a sexual advance on him when he was the 14-year-old lead of the Broadway play Precious Sons in 1986

Spacey befriended Rapp while they both performed on Broadway shows, invited Rapp over to his apartment for a party, and, at the end of the night, picked Rapp up, placed him on his bed, and climbed on top of him, making a sexual advance. According to public records, Spacey was 26. Rapp was 14.

 Rapp said he feels compelled to come forward.

"And not to simply air a grievance," he said, "but to try to shine another light on the decades of behavior that have been allowed to continue because many people, including myself, being silent. … I'm feeling really awake to the moment that we're living in, and I'm hopeful that this can make a difference."

In a statement, Spacey said that he does not remember the encounter, but owes Rapp the “sincerest apology” for his “drunken” actions if the allegation is true.

"This story has encouraged me to address other things about my life. I know that there are other stories out there about me and that some have been fueled by the fact that I have been so protective of my privacy," he continued. He also acknowledged for the first time publicly that "I now choose to live as a gay man."
My favorite quote from Billy Eichner on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment