Thursday, January 15, 2015

Dollar Tree Hair & Scalp Anti-Dandruff Shampoo Review

Dollar Tree's Hair & Scalp Anti Dandruff Shampoo
All of my life I've suffered from a skin condition known as eczema. The only management for this incurable disorder is through treatment of the symptoms. Symptoms include itchy and flaky skin that looks like a rash and dandruff. It's painful and can be embarrassing at times. A hairdresser mentioned that a product he sold in his salon called Actrol by Matrix Essentials could help my condition. I bought the $13 bottle of Actrol, which was in reality an Anti-Dandruff Shampoo. He told me, instead of soap and regular shampoo, use the Actrol to wash my face, hair and scalp. It worked but a few years later Matrix discontinued the Essentials line and I couldn't find my shampoo anymore so a switch had to be made. I knew, by then, the active ingredient was really nothing special. Pyrithione zinc is the active ingredient in many dandruff shampoos including Head and Shoulders which was my replacement choice.

Over the years I've tried many different brands and store brands, some worked great for me and others not as well. When I saw a bottle of anti-dandruff shampoo in Aldi, I bought it. I thought it wouldn't hurt to try it because of their double money back guarantee. It worked amazingly good and it had a good smell to it. I went back to buy my fourth bottle and was told it was discontinued and no longer available. I switched to try Suave Scalp Solutions Anti-Dandruff Shampoo, which has a nice coconut scent. I loved it.

Around the time that I began to conceive the idea for this blog, I found myself in the Dollar Tree to get a few shipping supplies and remembered I was almost out of shampoo. I knew they had some Suave products, in addition to White Rain (blast from the past) but the only dandruff shampoo on their shelf was a very generically labelled bottle of Hair & Scalp Anti-Dandruff Shampoo, I popped the top to smell it and low and behold it's the exact same scent as the Aldi shampoo or at least close to it. No brainer, I bought it.

After my first use, I realized this may have smelled like Aldi's shampoo but it was certainly NOT the same quality. Most shampoo suds up a bit, not that suds are a necessary thing. The Dollar Tree shampoo is extremely thick in consistency. I don't use much shampoo but I've noticed I end up using more because the thickness affects the coverage. I also noticed if any of the shampoo falls into the tub, it doesn't spread out as normal shampoo would when it hits water. This shampoo stays in a clump and falls to the bottom like a lotion. As for it's effectiveness, this shampoo is at the bottom of the barrel. If feels like it's getting my skin clean without residue but really doesn't leave a refreshed feeling. After a time of about four hours, my skin gets flaky and itchy, unlike Suave or most other dandruff shampoos I've used which last at least 12 hours and into the next day. This is the only shampoo I've used that I've found it necessary to use cream for eczema within a few hours of washing my face.

Is Dollar Tree's Hair & Scalp Anti-Dandruff Shampoo a good buy? Not for me and possibly not for someone with my condition. Though it's only $1.00, it's effectiveness does not suit a condition such as eczema or psoriasis. It's thick consistency compels you to use more than you normally would which in turn means you are wasting some of the product. I will never buy this product again. Back to Suave I go.
I give Dollar Tree 1 Star for effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment